Program Assistant I, Scholar Development
The Office of Scholar Development assists students as they pursue independent research opportunities, both at Tufts and after they graduate. We run the competitions for such nationally competitive awards as the Rhodes Scholarship, the Fulbright U.S. Student Program and the Truman Scholarship. We also administer Tufts’ own Summer Scholars program, a ten-week research program in which students pursue independent research projects of their own design with a faculty mentor.
We are currently hiring two full-year program assistants. This position is part-time and very flexible. For most of the year, the time commitment is between 10 and 15 hours per week, with an increase in September and early October.
· For Fulbright U.S. Student program, meet one-on-one with applicants (in person or via Skype) to discuss project ideas and next steps, advise them on all elements of their application (including identifying recommenders and affiliate/s), and provide feedback on draft application materials
· Participate in committee interviews for Fulbright applicants.
· Work with applicants on the first round of their written application material for all programs which have an internal selection process (Summer Scholars, Truman, Goldwater, Beinecke).
· Conduct outreach for nationally competitive awards such as the Truman, Goldwater, Rhodes, and Fulbright.
· Maintain database of student applicants/interested parties for nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships.
· Assistance in planning events (booking space, ordering food, contacting facilities, etc.)
· Distribute applications to faculty committee and track applicants for Fulbright and Summer Scholars program.
· Update Scholar Development website; maintain Fulbright and Summer Scholars Canvas sites.
· Currently enrolled graduate student
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to critically assess written work and provide constructive feedback
· Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
· Ability to prioritize when faced with multiple tasks
· (preferred) Experience applying for and/or receiving nationally prestigious awards